Tuesday, March 4, 2008

WHEN DID CRAYONS BEGIN TO SCARE US?

I posted this over at my other blog Lost in Schlock but wanted to post it here as well:

Over at Pulp 2.0 HQ Bill Cunningham mentioned a link to a this mini mag/zine on how to be creative (see below) and what caught my attention was this question: "They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten. Why fear them now?"

Never have I seen such a complex notion simplified in such a way. When did we become afraid of crayons? What was the moment in our lives when we decided that our drawings or anything else for that matter had to have some sort of validation? What was the event in our lives that made us withdraw from the freedoms that we had as children when we thought anything was possible to now as adults when we have to second guess everything we do?

I could remember being very young and thinking that everything was possible. There was nothing to fear in terms of what people would think of my art. Now when I write, draw, or do anything there are nagging thoughts that creep in my mind telling me that either it sucks or I need more money. In the end all that seems possible at first becomes impossible.

To me this is a bit of a awakening. It's time to retrain my brain and start at square one. Think like a child and reclaim my crayons.

Here is that mag in case anyone is interested:

No comments: