Thursday, August 7, 2008

THE LIFETIME CHANNEL

Lately, I have been sorta hooked on the Lifetime channel. I used to think that it was a, well you know, a channel for chicks. No offense, to any readers of the female persuasion. But I just assumed that is what it was.

After all, there seems to be a large proportion of flicks on that channel that either feature a woman being stalked by a crazed ex-boyfriend or a wife who is either abused by her husband and must somehow escape or the wife who is married to some crazed co-ed serial killer.

I can understand the point of it all, really. In a way it's like pulp for women. They are all formulaic and they have a genre niche to fulfill. There is truly a market for any genre out there.

Yet, the real reason I find myself going back to this channel and often letting my DVR record a few flicks from it, is that lately they have been airing some really groovy supernatural genre movies. I don't know if it's just a fluke run of those kind of films, but as long as they keep airing them, I'll keep watching.

These films may not win any awards or anything but they certainly follow a pulp style, that you have to love, and have supernatural elements including ghosts, of course. What is there not to like?

Now, why am I mentioning any of this? Well, this is aimed at anyone interested in screenwriting for films on both a low budget and for those that need to write within certain parameters that a studio or channel may enforce.

This brings me to this old post which anyone remotely interested in writing for TV or film in general should read. Check it out.

No comments: